Saturday 24 March 2007

What if I started a Blog?

So what if I started a blog? Is there a point? Is there something to say that's worth imposing on other people? I really don't know.

Of late I've been reading a lot of other people's blogs. Some felt like filler. Others like the product of deep thinkers. Still others like like the results of a GIGO process. In all cases, though, it allowed me to glimpse at someone else's thinking, whether right or wrong, tasteful or distasteful. This mental voyeurism is somewhat interesting, particularly for someone like me, who, as a mature age student returned to university to study psychology. So here I am, ready to share my own thoughts to whoever is interested.

So what do I think about? Well, psychology for a start, and the nature of belief, and why people believe the things they do. I'm a skeptic by nature, an atheist, a materialist and by turns cynical and hopeful. I love science, but I'm not a scientist per se - still you'll find that I'm a greater admirer of Darwin and Dawkins than I am of religious dogma, though I try to respect people's right to believe as they will (as long as they extend to me the right not to believe).

My hobbies are eclectic. Apart from reading, watching TV, enjoying movies, spending time with my lady and my dog ( a beautiful Keesie), I also enjoy a number of hobbies that allow me to enter other realities, at least in the illusory sense.

I love magic (as in conjuring and prestigiditation)- I used to perform, but currently I am out of magic officially while I pursue my psychology studies. So - no clubs, no conventions, no gigs. I haven't, however, ever been able to get magic out my system, so I continue to dabble, and buy books and DVDs. I'll have comments to make about that as this blog progresses.

I also indulge in RPGs, another form of world entry (don't say escapism - I have nothing to escape). Currently my preferences there run to the indie scene, with games like "Spirit of the Century" and "Dogs in the Vineyard" being typical preferences. I'll have stuff to say about those things in due course as well.

I have a lot of other interests - they'll come up as time goes on...

All of this is just by way of an introduction, and I hope to focus on all sorts of things as I continue on. Still that will do for now. Before I go, let me just leave you with a book recommendation for this week: "What is Your Dangerous Idea?" edited by John Brockman.

Be seeing you, Escherwolf.

No comments: